Sunday, February 8, 2009

Interview Mistakes

While the mistakes listed in the article are critical too avoid, they are not the end of the world. When I make a mistake in an interview I try to learn from it so it will not happen again in the future. I do agree with the statement that says you must practice in order to improve you interview skills. However, it is not good to sound too rehearsed. Employers are looking for someone who is confident and can think on the spot. There are obvious things that can be improved upon with simple practice though. For example, nervous habits such as chewing gum, speaking too quickly or too slowly, moving around too much, and speaking too softly, just to mention a few.

When I interned at several different golf courses, a face to face interview was always required. I always looked at these interviews as opportunities to practice and fine tune my skills as well as to allow the employer to get to know who I am. The first interview I was on was quite nerve racking, I did not know what too expect. However, I tried to use one of my strengths, which is my corny sense of humor to break the ice. This strategy has worked well for me in the past as long as it is appropriate and tasteful.

Another mindset I had going to the interview was that it was a two sided process. The employer needed to sell me the position as well, it was not just me that had all the pressure. Make sure all of your needs and questions are answered while being interviewed because you are there to learn if the position is right for you as well.

When I went on my interview, I made sure that I had a note pad and pen, which showed that I was organized and able to pay attention to detail. Asking intelligent and legitimate questions during and especially at the end of each interview is essential.Proper dress can not be more emphasized. Employers are always looking for people that fit their company image as well as individuals that will make a smooth transition into the company atmosphere.

No comments:

Post a Comment