Sunday, February 22, 2009

Cover Letter

The advice given from the tutorial about cover letters was helpful as well as truthful. However, the main point which I did not agree with is the recommendation to use a handwritten P.S. at the end of the cover letter. This seems to be a distraction from what you are trying to convey in the body of the cover letter. Perhaps it may be useful for certain situations, but I would not recommend its use often.

The example demonstrated on the tutorial seemed to be the most beneficial because it reinstates all the important aspects that need to be included in your cover letter. The layout is also clarified and gives a better idea of what a typical cover letter looks like. The checklist was helpful as well, this just puts your mind at rest, because once all the items on the list are complete you know that there is nothing missing. Many times when I have a lot on my mind and am having trouble sleeping, I make a checklist. This helps clarify as well organize my thoughts, the checklist will always be there in the morning.

The actual content of the body for the cover letter makes more sense after viewing the tutorial. Before, I thought the cover letter was more about the individual rather then the company. However, now I realize that the cover letter is more about the knowledge you have about the company. Also, I did not know that the resume was the first thing that employers look at for the hiring process. It seemed as though the cover letter would be viewed first, but this is not the case.

No comments:

Post a Comment